Inspired by The Summit at Fritz Farm
Making your HST’s (half-square triangles) using the “Magic 8” Method
- On the white 6 inch square (or 7-inch, if you are doing the 16-inch quilt block), draw two diagonal lines corner to corner, one vertically down the center and one horizontally through the center.
- Place the two fabrics (one white and one print/solid) on top of each other. Right sides together. Meaning if one is a print (or even both), then the print should be facing the other fabric.
- Stitch one line on each side of the diagonal lines 1/4-inch from the line. You will have a total of 4 stitched lines.
- To cut out your unfinished half-square triangles, cut on each of the four drawn lines.
- Open them up to reveal your 8 beautiful half-square triangles! Press seams open!
Trimming your HST’s
- After pressing your HST’s open, use your 45degree angle on your ruler to line up on your seam and trim about a quarter inch off.
- Turn your HST, line up the sides to 2 inch while also lining up your 45degree angle on the seam, to trim off the excess fabric.